Friday, February 15, 2019


A Rose is a Rose…or a Tulip?


Welcome to My Way. It is so wonderful that you dropped by. The coffee pot is on so I hope you can stay awhile.

For me, here in Michigan, it has been a snowy, icy and busy creative week. While preparing a few samples for next week’s Double Tulip Foam Flower class, a few special birthdays popped up. I decided to include two of the upcoming birthday cards as samples for the class. This is one.

The die used is one of my favorites. It is a retired Tulip die by Susan’s Garden. It was one of my first purchased dies a few years ago.  For this project I cut 4 layers of White Foamiran for each of the 3 petal shapes. Then I accented the outer tips with Barn Door Distress Ink and the inner tips with Scattered Straw Distress Ink.

For the Olive Green Foamiran leaves, I used Lady E’s Leaves 001. Then accented with Forest Moss and Vintage Photo Distress Inks.


Now the fun part – for the petals and leaves, use a very low heat setting iron to slightly warm each piece. Remove from the heat and immediately scrunch each petal and leaf. I try to do an accordion like fold then scrunch between my fingers.

After that, it is time to open and re-shape each piece. I prefer working on a very thick but soft sponge, like a thick grout sponge. I use my ball stylus to slightly smooth out the main body (ball) of the petals and try to leave the outer tips a little more wrinkled. Same with the leaves.

I did cut a sepal out of a firmer green cardstock. Using hot glue, start setting the 1st and 2nd petals across from each other. Now the 2nd and 3rd in-between. Offset the rest in the same manner. Once the flower has been completed, add a little hot glue to the center, then drop a pinch of Woodland Scenics' Pollen Yellow to cover the glue.

Did you notice the lovely background paper? It’s called House of Roses #3 by Lemon Craft. Thought the flowers worked well with this Double Tulip.

Well, that is all I have for today. 

We hope you will drop by again. 

Till next time,
May God Watch Over You and Yours.








1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to Thursday class with you, Barb; these are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete