Friday, April 27, 2018


My “Cabbage” Flower Garden…

 Each month, Jim and I have elected to decorate the tables for our monthly church pot luck. Coming up with ideas is both exciting and sometimes challenging. Some months are easy and simply done. Others, well we really do need pull our imagines together. (Wait till I show you the June project…)

For our May gathering, I wanted something way out of my usual silk flower arrangements (May is always a Mother’s Day theme). Several weeks ago, I noticed David Tutera’s Big Flower demonstration on YT and was fascinated by the flower sizes (8.5” to 12” across).  If you take a look at my April 13th article, you will see my first Big Rose Flower.  


Well, last week my last three dies arrived. Since then, I have been rather busy. If you look at the videos, you will notice how smooth and elegant the flowers look. Since I really wanted to use a variety of the Indian Batik papers from USArtQuest, I just knew smooth was going to be out of the question. So, being me, I decided to crinkle those lovely large petals.  If you have ever crumpled a piece of paper to throw away, then you have mastered my strange technique for these flowers. I used hot glue to secure the petal layers. Let me warn you to use caution as to not burn fingers. (Experience speaking here!)

When I finished and covered my table with large flowers, Jim was ever so kind as to call them “Cabbage Flowers”!

This was really fun! If you want something exciting for those upcoming summer-time gatherings, you may want to give these oversized flowers a go.

Now that we finally have spring like temperatures, I think I will close for now and go outside!


May God Bless You and Yours




2 comments:

  1. Nicely done, Barb; they are so pretty and would look wonderful on a table.

    ReplyDelete